A warning has already been issued by the National Grid that British households could lose power for up to three hours at a time if the gas supplies run too low. Despite adding that it would be an unlikely scenario, with the energy crisis continuing to escalate power interruptions are becoming an increasingly worrying possibility.
What can you do to combat power interruptions?
Investing in an Uninterrupted Power Source (or supply), also known as a UPS, can save you the worry of dealing with these power interruptions. This can be particularly important for businesses, where time down is equal to money lost.
What is a UPS?
A UPS is an electrical system that provides emergency power when the main power source fails. When the power loss is detected, the UPS will switch to using its internal battery to continue to power the equipment connected to it.
The topology of a UPS refers to the way the UPS and the utility power will work together. This tells you the reliability and efficiency you should expect from your power source.
Aten has three main topologies; off-line, line-interactive, and on-line.
Image credit: Prostar Solar
True Double Conversion (Online)
Benefits of online UPS designs:
• Zero-second transfer time
• Enhanced voltage filter to protect equipment
• Battery always in use to extend the lifetime
• Surge protection
• Tower/rack mounting
• Hot-swappable battery
|Line interactive UPS
|Double conversion (online)
|Electrical Line Noise
Line Interactive vs True Double conversion (online)
Battery is always in use to extend the lifetime
Line-interactive UPS models tend to call on the batteries more frequently than double-conversion UPS models which can shorten their lifespan. Short battery life causes additional costs through more frequently buying new batteries and the cost of labour to have them changed out each time.
If you’re after the most reliable option, a double conversion UPS is the best choice for critical loads.
Isolate equipment from the AC line
All forms of UPS systems can protect your equipment against lightning, surges, and electromagnetic (EMI/RFI) line noise with surge suppression and line noise-filtered functionings. However, if you want to take your protection a step further, the Aten online UPS system can isolate equipment from the problems on the AC line through the double-conversion operation.
Pure Sine Wave Output
Pure sine wave output provides maximum stability and compatibility with sensitive equipment. It can help power supplies from overheating, malfunctioning, or prematurely failing, and may be required by certain equipment to run.
Whilst line-interactive systems generate the waveform of their AC output whilst operating from a battery, an on-line UPS generates this continuously.
Zero-second transfer time
Enhanced Voltage filtering
Smart battery charger design
By adjusting the charging voltages to suit the outside temperatures, the smart battery charger design can optimise the battery performance. This is great to extend the useful service life of batteries, helping you to save money on less frequent battery changes.
|For non-critical load connection
These outlets can be programmed to produce backup power and surge protection.
|Backup and Surge Protected Outlets
|For critical load connection
These outlets produce backup power and surge protection.
Programmable outlet control
When the UPS is running in battery mode, you can enable the UPS to cut off P1 outlets after the backup setting time arrives.
If you disable this setting, the UPS will continue to provide power to P1 outlets until the battery is running out.
Any surges or spikes caused by thunder or lightning can be absorbed by the UPS outlets, providing complete protection for your equipment.
With over-voltage cut-off protection and surge immunity by MOV, you can ensure full-time equipment connection with your UPS.
Make the most of these features with an Aten UPS!
Available in 1000VA, 1500VA, 2000VA, and 3000VA
The Aten Professional Online UPS provides a far greater current of AC-to-DC battery-charger/rectifier to allow a UPS that can run continuously. Protect your equipment against all power issues that could occur with this reliable, innovative UPS. Experience a new way to access your UPS information and settings with an LED screen and achieve new levels of monitoring with power management software.
- Output voltage regulation < 1% – Provides higher performance and efficiency for critical applications.
- Programmable power management outlets – Users can easily and independently control load segments. During power failure, this feature enables users to extend battery time to mission-critical devices by shutting down noncritical devices.
- Emergency Power Off function (EPO) – EPO connector at rear panel allows emergency UPS Power Off from a remote location.
- SNMP + USB + RS-232 multiple communications – Allows either USB or RS-232 communication ports to work with the SNMP interface simultaneously.
- Hot-swappable battery design – All potential UPS maintenance, including complete power module exchange, can be performed without powering down connected equipment. As long as the utility power is on, you can leave the UPS and connected equipment on while replacing the battery.
- ECO mode for energy saving – Offers up to 97% efficiency to cut energy usage and cost. UPS power application via static bypass, timely returning to online double conversion when the need arises.
- Provides over-voltage cut-off protection and surge immunity – by MOV for full-time equipment protection.
- High power factor charger up to 1000W capacity – with very low ripple current when charging the battery.
- Multi-functional LCD interface – Displays immediate, detailed information on input voltage, battery capacity, power status, battery status, operating status, assessed backup runtime, etc.
- Smart battery charger design to optimize battery performance – Adjusts charging voltage according to outside temperatures and extends the useful service life of batteries.
More Aten Products Available from Comms Express:
If you require any further information on these or any other products that we stock here at Comms Express, please do not hesitate to contact our team who will be only too happy to help.
Until next time…