With over 50 years of expertise behind them, Vertiv offers a wide range of innovative solutions that provide reliable power, efficient cooling, and advanced monitoring and management capabilities, ensuring your critical systems run smoothly and uninterrupted.
One of Vertiv’s biggest product ranges is their UPS systems, built to improve your uptime and keep your business running even when disaster strikes. But what is a UPS?
A UPS, or uninterruptible power supply, is a device that protects your equipment against power problems of any kind. When looking for a UPS there are three types of basic UPS technologies involved:
1. Online Double Conversion
Each type of technology has its own advantages, each being suited to different needs and environments. When selecting the best UPS for you it is important to consider load size, location, budget, and criticality of the equipment to help you find the right model for your needs.
Online Double Conversion
An online UPS, or a double conversion UPS, converts incoming power to direct current (DC) and then back to alternating current (AC). This conversion design helps to increase the degree of isolation from irregularities on the main supply.
Whilst AC power is stable and clean upon generation, it can be subjected to voltage sags, spikes, and complete failure during transmission and distribution. This can cause interruption to your devices functioning, or even cause data loss or damage to your equipment.
By using an AC-DC/DC-AC conversion design, double conversion technology is able to fully protect you and your equipment against all kinds of power problems to ensure the highest level of security throughout your network.
A true online, double-conversion UPS provides 100% power conditioning, zero transfer time to the battery, no change in output voltage, and better transient suppression than other types of UPS technology. This is the most common type of UPS in large data centers.
Line-interactive UPS systems are ideal for when power fluctuations are your biggest concern, providing both power conditioning and battery backup. These UPS systems can support a wide range of input voltage fluctuations before they will need to switch to their battery backup.
The voltage boosts circuitry and the range of input voltage the UPS will accept are the line-interactive UPS’s critical advantage. The wider the range, the more total protection your UPS will provide.
Line-interactive technology provides a great balance between reasonable protection and moderate operating costs, with it typically being used within rackmount applications below 5000VA.
Offline UPS, also referred to as standby UPS or battery backup is the most cost-effective UPS option available. Whilst an offline UPS doesn’t maintain perfect power during minor sags and surges, it can protect against most spikes and prevent power anomalies.
The key to the quality of an offline UP is the range of power the unit will except before it switches to battery backup. The wider the range available, the less drain on the battery. The more times the UPS has to switch to its battery backup, the shorter the battery life will be.
Best suited for devices under 1500VA, offline UPSs are ideal for small offices, home computers, or other less critical applications.
Vertiv UPS Solutions
- Integrated solution supports faster deployments
- Compact, high power density design offers a small footprint
- Flexible UPS, power distribution and battery arrangements to meet capacity and runtime demands
- Efficient operation saves energy
- High power factor delivers more usable power
- Easy to install
- Integrated maintenance by-pass option ensures greater availability
- Intelligent monitoring and management offers improved visibility and control
This space-saving UPS design can be installed in a rack or on the floor. With scalable battery run time, optional maintenance bypass cabinet, and output distribution pods, this reliable, energy-efficient power solution is flexible and always available when needed.
- Flexible placement. Use inside a rack or in a tower configuration
- Compact, high power density
- Easy to install and manage
- High power factor maximizes the usable power
- Operates efficiently to save energy
- Optimized maintenance bypass maintains power, even during servicing (optional)
- Extended battery runtimes (optional)
- Flexible, easy to configure power distribution
The Vertiv GXT5 is an online double conversion UPS solution with double premium power outage protection and continuous power conditioning. It is ideal for critical infrastructure, operating at high power efficiency.
- Designed for high availability
- User friendly operation and installation
- Longer lifetime and run-time of the batteries
- Optimized energy and capacity management
- Seamless connectivity
- High output PF=0.9
- High efficiency, up to 98% in line mode
- Color graphic LCD display
- “Green mode” operation
- Advanced AVR protection with 2x boost and 1x buck tap
- Remote connectivity via a network interface or serial connection
- Input breaker device for additional protection
High-Performance Line-Interactive Power Protection for Servers and Networking Equipment
- A standard 5-year warranty provides peace of mind your investment is protected against potentially costly equipment failures.
- Achieve the lowest total cost of ownership over the lifetime of the UPS with fewer battery replacements and up to 10 years of useable life with Lithium Ion batteries.
- Hot-swappable user replaceable batteries increase the useable life of the UPS by allowing you to easily replace the batteries without disrupting power to connected equipment.
- Internal batteries offer industry-leading runtime (up to 10 minutes at full load) to protect critical equipment during an unexpected power loss.
- Lithium Ion battery technology degrades slower in high-temperature environments, supports up to 10 times more discharge cycles, and delivers faster recharge times compared to VRLA batteries.
For additional help or support with anything mentioned in this blog, or any other products that we stock, don’t hesitate to contact our team! Use our contact form to get in touch and our team will get back to you quickly with our expert knowledge!
More Vertiv Products Available from Comms Express:
Vertiv Data Centre UPS | Vertiv Rack Cooling | Vertiv KVM & Console Drawer Solutions | Vertiv Server Cabinets | Vertiv PDUs | Vertiv UPS
If you require any further information on these or any other products that we stock here at Comms Express, please do not hesitate to contact our team who will be only too happy to help.
Until next time…